COINS System Implementation Business Performance Management Case Study
The business had a basic finance system which kept developing issues, was unreliable and produced little reporting. Most of the project side of the business was run via paper-based processes. This was costly, and it provided very little visibility of performance to the business and management team. The ability to check project progress financially was limited.
The Management meetings we often spent discussing “is this number correct” rather than choosing the right future actions based on correct and visible historical information.
Confidence in the ability of the finance system to support the business growth was very low.
The business had lots of ambition to keep growing and needed an ERP to support their growing complexity.
THE PURPOSE OF THE PROJECT
To implement an enterprise-grade system that would provide visibility at a granular level, visibility and control of projects the business was delivering and a platform to enable the business to grow while capping or reducing overheads.
Emerson Nash worked with the management team to assess the requirements of a system. The current system needed to be replaced urgently due to it creating multiple issues. The need for better quality information to drive project performance management and decision making was a key requirement and underpinned this investment.
The work we undertook included:
- Assessed various systems and IT partners with the management team, with COINS being chosen
- Designed the data infrastructure – how information was captured and coded to enable reporting aligned to the needs of the business
- Designed the workflows and off-system processes
- Recruited staff to deliver the project alongside the current team
- Project managed the configuration, data cleaning, training, UAT testing and go-live stages
The implementation took five months from signoff to go-live.
This COINS ERP system was implemented as planned, giving the business a solid platform to continue growing the business. The system provided great visibility of performance at a granular level allowing better performance management at all levels
- Confidence improved significantly – the business went after considerably larger projects, helping the business to grow profitably
- Supported accurate cost capture and project performance reporting by site and by person.
- The business grew 20% in the year following implementation, adding £4m in sales and £400k in profit
- Provided an IT platform to manage plant and people effectively.
TESTIMONIALS FROM THE TEAM
“Emerson Nash have done an excellent job allowing us to continue growing with confidence. I would highly recommend Emerson Nash to support any high growth business” John, CEO
“The business is thriving, and Jess and Emerson Nash made a significant contribution to that success. I would recommend Jess to any senior finance professional” Shaun, CFO
About the Business
- The business had been growing consistently, from circa £3m in sales in 2004 to £20m in 2019 and employ close to 100 people.
- The business was project based. The projects ranged from £20,000 to over £2m in value, with differing levels of complexity and risk.
- The business owners maintained their desire and ambition to continue growing the business..